1. the act of performing a play, concert or some other form of entertainment
The performance starts at seven.
2. the way a person performs in a play, concert, etc.
She gave the greatest performance of her career.
3. how well or badly you do something; how well or badly something works
the country’s economic performance
ایفاء، ساخت، عمل کرد، عملکرد، سطح کارائى، اجرا، نمایش، ایفا، کاربرجسته، شاهکار، کارایى، انجام
مترادف: interpretation ,account ,reading ,rendition ,version
متضاد: nonfulfillment ,nonperformance
1. to remove something completely
She tried to erase the memory of that evening.
2. to make a mark or something you have written disappear, for example by rubbing it, especially in order to correct it
He had erased the wrong word.
3. to remove a recording from a tape or information from a computer’s memory
Parts of the recording have been erased.
پاک کردن، اثارچیزى رااز بین بردن، خراشیدن، تراشیدن، محوکردن
مترادف: abolish ,black out ,blot out ,cancel ,clean ,efface ,eradicate ,annihilate ,expunge ,exterminate ,extirpate ,liquidate ,obliterate ,root ,rub out ,snuff ,stamp ,sweep ,wipe out
1. a disease that causes fever and shivering (= shaking of the body) caused by the bite of some types of mosquito
An increasing number of malaria cases are reported each year.
1. a person who behaves in a practical and sensible way rather than having fixed ideas or theories
The successful teacher is invariably a pragmatist and a realist.
پیرو فلسفه عملى، مصلحت گراى
1. to put plants in the ground so that they have enough room to grow
Plant the seedlings out at 20cm intervals.
نشا کردن، در فواصل معین کاشتن
to take decisive action
absolute, assured, certain, conclusive, crisp, critical, crucial, decided, definitive, determined, fateful, final, firm, forceful, imperative, imperious, incisive, momentous, peremptory, resolute, resolved, set, settled, significant, straight out, strong-minded, trenchant
Colleague 1: How long have you been waiting for that report from John for?
Colleague 2: Just over two weeks.
Colleague 1: Don't you think it is about time that you force him to finish it? The deadline has long passed.
Colleague 2: The timing is getting critical and I really do need that report. I suppose I will have to drop the hammer on John soon.
Friend 1: Why aren't you playing your video game?
Friend 2: My mother dropped the hammer yesterday. She told me that she had been pestering me to clean the garage for far too long and that she was taking away my video games until I cleaned the garage.
Friend 1: Guess you had better clean the garage then, huh?
1) ... officers in cities like Chicago complaining that their bosses are not letting them drop the hammer on crime or that they are actively being sabotaged.
2) ... drink with a smile on his face, but know that he can drop the hammer down on anyone at anytime. That, my friends, is power.
3) ... coach was calm and relatively optimistic. Maybe he didn't want to drop the hammer again because he senses the team is in a fragile state.
4) Of course, if any outfit can figure out a way to drop the hammer on non-complying tweeters and up-your-nose trolls, it's the IOC.
5) ... is the greatest show of cowardice I've ever seen. So, drop the hammer on them.
6) ... has publicly stated that his administration will drop the hammer on anyone who tries to stall or avoid the continuing battle.
7) ... and bury this change late on a summer Friday -- Trump decided to drop the hammer on a Monday morning, ensuring it drives the news week.
8) ... practical solutions have remained elusive. # Many say it's time to drop the hammer on tiny offshore nations that lure wealth from the countries where it is earned.
9) ... continues to get deeper, with city politicians hearing they may have to drop the hammer on property taxpayers in the coming years to begin chipping away at a massive backlog ...
10) The NFL attempted to drop the hammer on the Patriots, doling out a four-game suspension to quarterback Tom Brady.
11) It wasn't like the Bison dropped the hammer, but they did just enough to win.
12) And then Alberta's new NDP government dropped the hammer, saying the province would be coal-power free by 2030.
13) ... and his lawsuit says the Tour should have looked into it before it dropped the hammer on him.
14) Prosecutors have dropped the hammer on sixteen NYPD officers who were indicted this past Friday morning ...
15) He also told me that Butch has dropped the hammer across the board and is working extremely hard to get everybody in line so there ...
16) But dropping the hammer is sometimes the only option. Especially if someone is not moving, maybe they ...
17) ... by once again tightening the rules on mortgage lending, this time dropping the hammer on the thing the real estate industry has long dreaded -- an increase in the ...
18) Maybe it's time that networks start dropping the hammer on these floundering shows and just let them die with dignity.
19) Teams, leagues and sponsors don't wait for the facts before dropping the hammer.
20) Dropping the hammer on these kids is not an effective way to keep them in school.
فهم هر متن علمی و عمومی (از جمله متن های بالا) ارتباط مستقیم با تعداد لغاتی که بلدید داره.
هر چی تعداد لغت بیشتری بلد باشید میتونید متن های انگلیسی رو راحتتر، سریعتر و بهتر متوجه بشید.
برای پیشرفت در هر چهار مهارت انگلیسی نیاز به لغت دارید.
موثرترین، سریع ترین و عملی ترین راه ممکن استفاده از فلش کارت است.
با فلش کارتهای آنلاین ZabanZone.ir شما با صرف حداقل وقت بیشترین یادگیری رو خواهید داشت.
سطح این لغت در سایت: