We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
1. unhappy or showing unhappiness
We are very sad to hear that you are leaving.
2. that makes you feel unhappy
a sad story
3. unacceptable; deserving blame or criticism
a sad state of affairs
غمگین، اندوگین، غمناک، نژند، محزون، اندوهناک، دلتنگ، افسرده وملول
مترادف: bad ,blue ,brokenhearted ,cast down ,crestfallen ,dejected ,depressed ,despondent ,disconsolate ,doleful ,down ,downcast ,downhearted ,down in the mouth ,droopy ,forlorn ,gloomy ,glum ,hangdog ,heartbroken ,heartsick ,heartsore ,heavyhearted ,inconsolable ,joyless ,low ,low-spirited ,melancholic ,melancholy ,miserable ,mournful ,saddened ,sorrowful ,sorry ,unhappy ,woebegone ,woeful ,wretched
متضاد: blissful ,buoyant ,buoyed ,cheerful ,cheery ,chipper ,delighted ,glad ,gladdened ,gladsome ,gleeful ,happy ,joyful ,joyous ,jubilant ,sunny ,upbeat
1. used to refer to an area of land when you are mentioning its natural features, for example, if it is rough, flat, etc.
difficult/rough/mountainous, etc. terrain
زمینه، عوارض زمین، ناحیه، نوع زمین
مترادف: area ,arena ,bailiwick ,barony ,business ,circle ,demesne ,department ,discipline ,domain ,element ,fief ,fiefdom ,firmament ,front ,game ,kingdom ,line ,precinct ,province ,realm ,specialty ,sphere ,field ,walk
1. quiet and peaceful
a tranquil scene
ارام، اسوده، بى جنبش، درحال سکون
مترادف: arcadian ,calm ,hushed ,peaceful ,placid ,restful ,serene ,still ,stilly ,quiet
متضاد: boisterous ,clamorous ,clattery ,deafening ,loud ,noisy ,raucous ,rip-roaring ,roistering ,romping ,rowdy ,tumultuous ,unquiet ,uproarious ,woolly
1. a person who enjoys food and drink of high quality and knows a lot about it
پیرو عقیده اپیکور، ادم خوش گذران وعیاش، ابیقورى، شکم پرست
مترادف: bon vivant ,epicurean ,gastronome ,gastronomist ,gourmand ,gourmet
1. to take something away, usually the best people or things or an amount of money, in order to get an advantage for yourself
The best students were creamed off by the grammar schools.
before doing anything else
basically, cardinally, cardinal, chiefly, dominantly, dominant, eminently, eminent, especially, essential, essentially, fundamental, fundamentally, important, importantly, main, mostly, notably, particularly, predominant, predominantly, preeminent, preeminently, prevail, prevailingly, prevalent, prevalently, prime, primary, primarily, supreme, supremely
Meeting Leader: OK everyone. Let's get started. As you know we are here today to talk about the implementation of our new software. But, first of all, before we address the details of the implementation, let's make sure that all the stakeholders are here.
Teacher: Today's topic is the use of idioms in formal situations. First of all, though, are there any questions from last class?
1) Well first of all... Hello My name is Cynthia ...
2) I want to make a few acknowledgements. First of all, I want to thank the Brazil-U.S. Business Council.
3) To understand these assertions, it is important, first of all, to distinguish between hunger and the more severe problem of malnutrition.
4) I want to first of all thank you, my readers, for stopping by my pinterest inspiration board.
5) Let me say a few things about that comparison. First of all, I don't know anyone who is pro-abortion.
6) The most important thing a buyer can do is, first of all, work with a buyer broker.
7) If I may, first of all this show isn't produced by the Behavioral Analysis Unit at the Federal Bureau ...
8) And then the changes started appearing. The benefits of the YES Challenge # First of all, I developed much greater clarity.
9) I doubt it. First of all, most sushi chefs are not Zen masters. Second, even if ...
10) First of all, thanks a lot for this question. It is a very interesting.
11) First of all, you need to understand what kind of damage sunlight can inflict on your eyes.
12) The purpose of that, first of all, is to attract good candidates.
13) OK, first of all, you don't have to tell anyone they're readers.
14) First of all, this is completely FREE. Second...
15) There are a number of problems in running and developing web sites. First of all, the desired domain name may not be available.
16) First of all, not all questions are true questions. Sometime people put statements in ...
17) First of all, this book is fantastic. Follow the recipes because a lot of ...
18) You are completely mistaken. First of all, if the effect of Hurricane Katrina, the largest such natural disaster ...
19) This equation as written, however, needs to be modified in several ways. First of all, neither hydrogen nor oxygen is monatomic.
20) However, this is not a normal history book in any way. First of all, this book has the most beautiful pictures.
(Click on the words for their meanings)
Once a cake was stolen by two cats from a house. But they did not want to share it.
Each of the cats claimed that it was his earning and that he was not prepared to give a share to the other. When their quarrel reached the climax, a monkey appeared on the scene. He offered himself to solve the dispute. He heard the case and opined that as they were good friends, they should share the cake equally. And he offered himself to divide the cake into two equal parts for them.
Somehow the cats agreed to his suggestion. Then the monkey took and 'divided the cake into two parts. He weighed each of the parts separately, and found that one was heavier than the other. So he gave a good bite to the heavier piece to make it of lesser weight, and weighed it again. Now he found the other part heavier. So again, he gave a good bite to the heavier piece and put it one the scale. Now it appeared to be of lesser weight. Again, he gave a good bite to the presently heavier piece to make it equal in weight to the other. But none of the two pieces appeared to be perfectly equal in weight.
Now the cake was almost eaten up by the clever monkey this Way. So the cats wanted the remaining parts back from the monkey. At this, the monkey said that they cannot get them back, because he claims them as remuneration for his service to them. So saying, the monkey swallowed the tuning two small pieces of the cake and jumped high to of a tree, beyond the reach of the cats.
از طریق کنترل پنل متیونید به آرشیو تمام داستانهای کوتاه دسترسی داشته باشید.
(Click on the words for their meanings)
Today we will be looking at the life of the famous explorer Marco Polo. Born to a Venetian merchant, Marco Polo would travel to China and spend much of his life in service to the Mongolian Emperor. During this time he would have the experiences that would be written in his famous work, “The Travels”. We will see how his experiences would go on to affect the western world both in his time as well as today.
Marco Polo lived from 1254 to 1324, a time of both expansion and conflict for the Venetian Republic. He was born into a merchant family, already experienced in foreign travel and trade. In 1271, at the age of 17, Marco joined his father and uncle on an expedition to the Holy Land where they were to acquire certain gifts for the Mongolian Emperor Kublai Khan. What was supposed to be a journey by sea turned into a journey by land, crossing from the Mediterranean port city of Acre to the Chinese city of Shangdu, where Kublai Khan was in residence. The journey took three years and covered over 4,400 miles, following a series of trading routes that would become known as the Silk Road.
Marco was appointed a member of Kublai’s court, becoming one of many foreign administrators in the Mongolian Empire. His role took him to various cities across China, where he became increasingly familiar with Asian culture. Eventually, in 1292, Marco, along with his father and uncle, were released from Kublai Khan’s service and allowed to make the arduous journey back to their native Venice. The return journey took another three years, seeing the Polos arrive in Venice in 1295.
In 1298, just three years after returning home, Marco Polo was taken prisoner in battle by Venice’s enemy, Genoa. While in prison Marco became friends with Rustichello da Pisa, a writer famed for his stories of Arthurian adventure and romance. With Rustichello’s help, Marco spent his time in prison writing about his travels in China while serving in the Mongolian court. He initially titled his writings “Description of the World”, but later changed the titles to “The Travels of Marco Polo”, or just “The Travels” as it is known today.
Marco Polo’s writings were a glimpse into the exotic and alien world of the Mongolian Empire. He described strange inventions unknown in the west, such as eyeglasses and paper money. Other elements of eastern life were also covered, including the use of coal and the creation of a postal system. Marco went on to reveal juicier aspects of Asian life, such as political intrigue, giving his writings a more human touch as well.
One year later, in 1299, Marco Polo was released from prison after peace between Venice and Genoa was restored. Rather than returning to a life of travel, Marco chose to settle down and raise a family. He spent the last 25 years of his life as a merchant, although never again leaving his home city of Venice. While his later years were relatively obscure, his writings would go on to inspire future generations of European explorers. It is even rumored that Christopher Columbus carried a copy of “The Travels” on his voyage to the Americas.
In the end, Marco Polo’s greatest contribution to Western society could well be an insatiable curiosity and fascination for foreign cultures. His descriptions of life in the Mongolian Empire rekindled an appetite for exploration. Creating the image of a heroic explorer provided future generations with an ideal that was both strong and peace loving. This ideal has survived to this day, giving rise to the action/adventure genre in books, movies, and television. Without Marco Polo, the world might have gone without such iconic big screen heroes as Allan Quartermain or Indiana Jones.
“I did not tell half of what I saw, for I knew I would not be believed” – Marco Polo
از طریق کنترل پنل متیونید به آرشیو دسترسی داشته باشید.
فهم هر متن علمی و عمومی (از جمله متن های بالا) ارتباط مستقیم با تعداد لغاتی که بلدید داره.
هر چی تعداد لغت بیشتری بلد باشید میتونید متن های انگلیسی رو راحتتر، سریعتر و بهتر متوجه بشید.
برای پیشرفت در هر چهار مهارت انگلیسی نیاز به لغت دارید.
موثرترین، سریع ترین و عملی ترین راه ممکن استفاده از فلش کارت است.
با فلش کارتهای آنلاین ZabanZone.ir شما با صرف حداقل وقت بیشترین یادگیری رو خواهید داشت.
سطح این لغت در سایت: